from the bookshelves of
Children’s Author Barbara Jean Hicks
This week I’m reading middle grade books to prepare for the Highlights workshop I’ll be teaching in September. Do you recognize these first lines from volumes in my library? The first person who posts a comment with all the titles and authors correct gets a free, autographed copy of one of my own picture books, The Secret Life of Walter Kitty, illustrated by the fabulous Dan Santat. Good luck!
Who wrote the following first lines, and for what book?
1) The story I am about to share with you takes place in 1931, under the roofs of Paris.
2) Mom and Dad had known about the wedding at my Uncle Autry’s ranch for months.
3) Gramps says that I am a country girl at heart, and that is true.
4) Miri woke to the sleepy bleating of a goat.
5) Lucky Trimble crouched in a wedge of shade behind the Dumpster.